Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hatred Surge, Mammoth Grinder, Pink Nightmare, Torture Unit

God, I've been to the fucking Balazo three nights in a row. I need to get away from that place. I worked the door at this show so at times my attention wasn't focused on the bands and I had to deal with that asshole security dude they have there. He kept giving me shit about ins and outs when people would leave to get money to buy merch or drinks at the show.


The first band was Torture Unit which apparently has some well known people from other bands in it but I was busy taking money at the door most of the set. It was good fast hardcore punk. I'm down to see them again.


Pink Nightmare shares members with another band called Foreign Objects who are rumored to be awesome and were playing another show down the street and they didn't get there until right before they were supposed to play. They were kind of boring to watch but the band played decent riot grrrlish punk in the slower and snarling vein. The grrrl singing has a super deep voice and I thought it was a dude until I checked out up by the stage and saw a petite female belting it out.

I've wanted to name a band Pink Nightmare for years and perform in the pink bunny PJs from the "Christmas Story" movie. Of course a bunch of SF riot grrrls beat me to it.


Mammoth Grinder was more of a metal band than a grind band but they were pretty good. I was vaguely upset that their name misled me but they made up for it. During the end of their set, that dude Stinkweed who plays guitar and sings in Plutocracy drunkenly made friends with me and insisted we smoke weed in the back room. That didn't hurt Hatred Surge's set at all.


After switching out a drummer and adding a dedicated singer, Mammoth Grinder returned to the stage as Hatred Surge. Killer band, brutal grind assault. Enough said.



I brought a box of records to the show to give to Hatred Surge from Martin at Lengua Armada and Martin hooked me up with the new Lengua Armada stuff most of which is already sold out. I got it on limited colored vinyl too bitches. High points are the new Vaccuum 7' and the Totsugeki Sensya 7'. Fucking stoked.

2 comments:

  1. pink nightmare is total discharge worship, yes they are all female, where does riot grrl come in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, they are from boston, not SF.

    ReplyDelete