Monday, January 10, 2011

Nomos, The Men, Skin Like Iron, Face the Rail, Lie Still

Another night at Balazo/Submission. I'm going back there tonight to see Hatred Surge and Mammoth Grinder. Been taking way too many trips to the city.


Lie Still is a brand new band featuring Pete who has been in a bunch of metal and hardcore projects like Benumbed and Agenda of Swine. They played powerviolence with lots of stops and slowdowns and look like they could turn out pretty good. I think they would be better if I was playing bass for them.


Face the Rail comes out of that whole ex-Warkrime scene that I'm split down the middle on. This particular band was pretty fucking good, very garage rockish with a midtempo hardcore sensibility. Definitely worth seeing.

Next up was Skin Like Iron. I don't like them and their weirdo hardcore trying to incorporate bad elements of thrash metal. And they have a dude from Ceremony in the band which usually counts as a strike against in my book. I had a way better time trying to hash out a crusty metal project with a friend out in the back patio than watching that shit.


There have been a lot of New York bands coming through in a burst now that there isn't a blizzard canceling all tours. The Men are from Brooklyn and played a very catchy type of aggressive pop punk. That's not really what they sounded like. I kept thinking I heard a Dead Moon influence in there with some noisy garage style guitars, lots of effects and solos, and a driving style that builds up and dies down multiple times in each song. I really liked them and almost bought a 7' but they were $7 and the line was long so I said fuck it.


I had heard good things about Nomos and they delivered despite an initial prejudice against them when the pudgy singer immediately took his shirt off and started punching the stage. Yeah we've all seen Fucked Up and I can do without that gimmick again. By the end of the first song they had won me over however. They played good, aggressive East Coast hardcore with lots of fist pumping parts and moshy breakdowns.


The Nomos pit was wild and the singer spent most of the set in the crowd crashing into dudes. I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment