Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Neurosis, Saviours, US Christmas

No pictures this time because it was at Great American Music Hall but with this post I will be caught up with the blog (I'm a bad blogger). The show went down on Sunday, Jan. 16 and Neurosis fucking killed it.

I got hooked up with a free ticket from a friend of a friend who had bought an extra one for each night and got canceled on. US Christmas was playing when I got there and I thought they were all right at first but they steadily broke me down. It was very ambient stony doomish music that sounded like a hippie version of Neurosis without any of the aggression. They had a violin player and a dude dressed in some East Indian cultist outfit and face tattoos playing tambourine. I just couldn't hang and went outside where half the people I know in the Bay Area punk scene were hanging out.

Next up was Saviours who I've seen about five times too many. They aren't terrible but they always kind of impressed me as hipsters who saw Metalocalypse and decided to start a death metal band. It's just pretty generic and vapid and they are always opening for an awesome band that they should be ashamed to darken a stage before. Once again, outside was where the party was at. Some guy walked by and said "hey what's up Jason" to me because I was standing next to Jason Stormcrow's girlfriend and he's a fat dude with dreads and a beard too. We had a good laugh about it.

I had never seen Neurosis before and to tell you the truth I'm not very familiar with their catalog, although I've always been stoked to hear them come on the stereo at a party. I was standing next to a Redding friend when they took the stage and the guitar player came out looking exactly like our friend Curt from Redding who has played in a bunch of bands. Our chuckling was cut short as Neurosis proceeded to blow our minds. They played for about two hours which is just a little too long for my fat ass to stand in one place but it was sufficiently incredible that I didn't mind much. They went off, the playing was excellent, the projected film behind them was disturbingly trippy, and the intensity made me want to punch somebody. I am converted.

No comments:

Post a Comment